Shaping sustainable pathways towards change
Our ambition is to be a sustainability shaper for our clients. Our Sustainability and Stewardship Report 2022 charts our progress on this journey, covering our sustainable investment activities and commitment to active stewardship.
This year’s report also showcases our enhanced approach to corporate sustainability as we embed sustainable values across our business.
Our goal? To progress from sustainability commitments towards tangible change and real-world impact.
View our sustainability highlights in 2022 and visit the Download Centre to learn more.
Watch Matt Christensen, Global Head of Sustainable and Impact Investing.
Our progress in 2022
Use the tabs to learn more
- Our sustainability shaper ambition means guiding investors on the journey from an ESG-risk1 focus to sustainability and ultimately to showing the true impact of our investments.
- Throughout the challenges of 2022, we remained committed to supporting this transition by developing scalable solutions structured around our three pivotal themes: climate change, planetary boundaries, and inclusive capitalism.
- These themes guide our targeted engagement and research to ensure we identity the most material risks and opportunities.
- In 2022 our thematic focus areas included the interconnectivity of the climate crisis and biodiversity, the future of energy, and the relationship between social inclusion, climate change and biodiversity-related challenges.
- We embedded these focus areas in our sustainability research programme and expanded stewardship activities, supported by our enhanced data capabilities.
1 Environmental, Social and Governance.
- We increased our range of sustainable products to 177 (2021: 150) offered across three categories to meet an increasingly broad range of client needs and objectives.
- We developed a new key performance indicator approach applied to our sustainability-focused and impact-focused products, focusing on measurable targets, monitoring and reporting.
These strategies incorporate material ESG risk considerations into investment analysis without constraining the investment universe. This category includes our integrated ESG investment
These strategies have specific sustainability objectives and values, and apply sustainable minimum exclusion criteria. This category includes our sustainable and responsible investment (SRI) best-in-class, climate engagement with outcome and key performance indicator (KPI) based investment approaches.
These strategies aim to achieve measurable sustainable outcomes on specific issues, such as renewable energy and the priorities set out in the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This category includes our private market impact and and SDG-aligned investment approaches.
- Sustainability research is a cornerstone of AllianzGI’s active investment approach and close collaboration between our Research team and our Stewardship and Sustainability Methodologies and Analytics teams has advanced the credible and consistent use of ESG data in our investment processes.
- Given the criticality of ESG data as the foundation for every sustainability-informed investment decision, we launched our Sustainability Insights Engine (SusIE) – a digital platform facilitating access to a range of ESG data from multiple providers in one place.
2, 3 These figures relate to EU-domiciled funds that are classified as either Article 8 or Article 9 under SFDR.
4 The ESG risk-focused category (integrated ESG investment approach) is not considered sustainable according to EU Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation.
- As an active investment manager, we see constructive engagement dialogue with investee companies as essential for creating sustainable pathways towards change.
- Our global approach also incorporates proxy voting at the shareholder meetings of all the companies in which we invest where we have the authority to exercise voting rights.
- We participated in 10,200 shareholder meetings in 2022. Focus topics included the election of board directors, executive compensation, authorisations related to capital structure, and the appointment of external auditors.
- We substantially expanded our engagement activities in 2022, engaging with 355 companies in 28 countries through a thematic and collaborative engagement approach aligned to our three themes plus the topic of governance.
Highlights of our expanded engagement activities
Highlights of our proxy voting activities
shareholder meetings participated in during 2022
of all votable meetings
We opposed 22%
of all management resolutions
of meetings globally we voted against, withheld or abstained from at least one agenda item
5 Some engagement activities span multiple years.
6 Engagement on “sustainable investment share” and Principal Adverse Impacts began in 2022 per regulatory requirements.
7 Emerging market sovereign engagement was not reported in 2021.
- Being a sustainable business means creating long-term value without compromising our impact on people, the planet or profit, and we are committed to the same high standards that we expect of the companies in which we invest.
- With the new role of Corporate Sustainability Officer in place we developed a three-year road map to enable delivery of our long-term ambitions.
- These focus on how we empower our people, how we run our business, how we manage the environmental effects of our operations, and how we contribute to societal development.
Our corporate sustainability approach
8 Social = related to society; the CSR concept is not limited to charitable work; responsibility refers to social, environmental and governance aspects.
Corporate sustainability highlights 2022
Investing involves risk. The value of an investment and the income from it will fluctuate and investors may not get back the principal invested. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. This is a marketing communication. It is for informational purposes only. This document does not constitute investment advice or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any security and shall not be deemed an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security.
The views and opinions expressed herein, which are subject to change without notice, are those of the issuer or its affiliated companies at the time of publication. Certain data used are derived from various sources believed to be reliable, but the accuracy or completeness of the data is not guaranteed and no liability is assumed for any direct or consequential losses arising from their use. The duplication, publication, extraction or transmission of the contents, irrespective of the form, is not permitted.
This material has not been reviewed by any regulatory authorities. In mainland China, it is for Qualified Domestic Institutional Investors scheme pursuant to applicable rules and regulations and is for information purpose only. This document does not constitute a public offer by virtue of Act Number 26.831 of the Argentine Republic and General Resolution No. 622/2013 of the NSC. This communication's sole purpose is to inform and does not under any circumstance constitute promotion or publicity of Allianz Global Investors products and/or services in Colombia or to Colombian residents pursuant to part 4 of Decree 2555 of 2010. This communication does not in any way aim to directly or indirectly initiate the purchase of a product or the provision of a service offered by Allianz Global Investors. Via reception of his document, each resident in Colombia acknowledges and accepts to have contacted Allianz Global Investors via their own initiative and that the communication under no circumstances does not arise from any promotional or marketing activities carried out by Allianz Global Investors. Colombian residents accept that accessing any type of social network page of Allianz Global Investors is done under their own responsibility and initiative and are aware that they may access specific information on the products and services of Allianz Global Investors. This communication is strictly private and confidential and may not be reproduced. This communication does not constitute a public offer of securities in Colombia pursuant to the public offer regulation set forth in Decree 2555 of 2010. This communication and the information provided herein should not be considered a solicitation or an offer by Allianz Global Investors or its affiliates to provide any financial products in Brazil, Panama, Peru, and Uruguay. In Australia, this material is presented by Allianz Global Investors Asia Pacific Limited (“AllianzGI AP”) and is intended for the use of investment consultants and other institutional/professional investors only, and is not directed to the public or individual retail investors. AllianzGI AP is not licensed to provide financial services to retail clients in Australia. AllianzGI AP is exempt from the requirement to hold an Australian Foreign Financial Service License under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) pursuant to ASIC Class Order (CO 03/1103) with respect to the provision of financial services to wholesale clients only. AllianzGI AP is licensed and regulated by Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission under Hong Kong laws, which differ from Australian laws.
This document is being distributed by the following Allianz Global Investors companies:
Allianz Global Investors GmbH, an investment company in Germany, authorized by the German Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht (BaFin); Allianz Global Investors (Schweiz) AG; in HK, by Allianz Global Investors Asia Pacific Ltd., licensed by the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission; in Singapore, by Allianz Global Investors Singapore Ltd., regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore [Company Registration No. 199907169Z]; in Japan, by Allianz Global Investors Japan Co., Ltd., registered in Japan as a Financial Instruments Business Operator [Registered No. The Director of Kanto Local Finance Bureau (Financial Instruments Business Operator), No. 424], Member of Japan Investment Advisers Association, the Investment Trust Association, Japan and Type II Financial Instruments Firms Association; in Taiwan, by Allianz Global Investors Taiwan Ltd., licensed by Financial Supervisory Commission in Taiwan; and in Indonesia, by PT. Allianz Global Investors Asset Management Indonesia licensed by Indonesia Financial Services Authority (OJK).